Homemade baked breaded Chicken Strips.
Now the kids are getting a little bigger (almost 3 and 5) I'm trying to get them more involved with not just baking sweet treats but also main meals too so over the weekend I had them helping in the preparation of these chicken strips. They loved it, they always love helping out in the kitchen and as always the food they help prepare and cook themselves they enjoy eating a whole lot more than food that's just put in front of them at dinner time, they even had seconds. Also my husband has had many chicken strips over the years but he said these were the best chicken strips he has ever had.
Another reason for getting the kids involved is to teach them more about the food they eat and that chicken nuggets and food in general does not just come out of a bag from the freezer or handed to you at a fast food joint, that homemade is a lot healthier and tastes so much better, does not have to take too much time to prepare and most importantly is fun to make.
There are several ways of preparing and cooking chicken strips, this is my favourite. It is simple and easy and good for getting kids more involved in the kitchen. For those gluten intolerant out there just replace the bread and flour with gluten free versions, it is that simple.
2 skinless chicken breasts
2-3 slices of bread
all purpose flour
Extra seasoning ideas
pepper, spices, herbs, Parmesan cheese, crackers instead of breadcrumbs etc.
1. Preheat oven to 200oC 350oF
2. Tear bread into pieces and blitz in a food processor to make fine crumbs.
3. Cut chicken breasts into evenly sized 1 inch strips (around 4-5 strips per breast) and leave to one side on a plate.
4. Take 3 more plates and place in a line next to the plate of chicken. The first plate cover
with flour. The next plate or shallow bowl add 1 lightly beaten egg. On the final plate add the bread crumbs seasoned with a pinch of salt and any extra seasoning.
5. Next to your final plate of bread crumbs have your baking tray ready coated with olive or any other cooking oil you use.
6. Take a few chicken strips, coat completely in flour, roll in the egg, then coat with bread crumbs before finally placing on the baking tray. Repeat until all your strips have been prepared.
7. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, turning half way. Add a little extra oil if your strips look a little dry.
8. To test the chicken is thoroughly cooked, cut one of your strips, preferably the largest in half to make sure the meat is white and the juices run clear, if not bake for a further 5 minutes and repeat the process again.
9.Serve with your favourite sauce, bake chips, rice etc, etc.
food gallery [link]