A bowl of my super awesome crispy homemade oven chips. Normally served simply with a sprinkle of salt and a ton of ketchup.
I make these or roast potato version of this everyday and have done so for over a year now as being gluten free there is a lot I can not eat, same goes for having IBS so I have somewhat perfected these chips and roasties.
White floury potatoes (each type of potato comes out differently, some crispy some chewy so experiment)
vegetable/sunflower or olive oil (I prefer vegetable for crispy, olive oil for more flavour)
1. Preheat oven to 220oC/425oF/Gas Mark 7
2. Pour a very thin layer of oil to just cover a whole baking/roasting tray and place in the oven to preheat.
3. Add water 3/4 up in a pan on a medium/high heat to allow it to begin to heat up or add already boiled water from a kettle if you are in a hurry while you prepare the potatoes.
4. Peel and thoroughly wash potatoes, (to save time you can use an apple corer)
5. Carefully put chips in the water, add a pinch of salt then boil for 10-15 minutes depending on the potatoes type and size.
6. Once you can put a fork slightly into one of your chips, remove from heat, drain the water and rinse if you have very starchy potatoes.
7. Using a lid of a plate to cover the pan carefully shake your potatoes, this makes them fluffy and gives the oil something to cling onto and crisp up when baking. Be careful not to shake them too much though else you will end up with a pan of mash potato!
8. Carefully add to your baking tray/roasting tin, watch out though as the oil can spit! Place in oven.
9. After about 20 minutes, once the potatoes start to colour, turn your chips. Add a little more oil if the potatoes have soaked it up or drain some off if there is too much. Cook for a further 20 minutes or until crisp and golden then serve.