This is only the second time i have made muffins ever. The first was a complete disaster so it really put me off trying again for many years.
If anyone has any tips for me for making muffins i would gladly appreciate it, i would love to be able to perfect muffin making!
Recipe taken from the book 1 Mix, 50 Muffins which i got a few years back as a christmas present.
Makes 12 (20-24 mini muffins)
Oil or melted butter for greasing a muffin tin if you don't plan on using cases
280g/10oz plain white flour (or gluten free flour)
1 tbsp baking powder (or gluten free baking powder)
1/8 tsp salt
115g/4oz caster sugar
2 medium eggs
200ml/7 fl oz milk (or rice or any other dairy free milk)
6 tbsp sunflower oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
jar of strawberry or any jam of choice
150g/5 1/2 oz granulated sugar
1. Preheat oven to 200oC/400oF/Gas Mark 6
2. Grease a 12 cup muffin tin or line with cases.
3. Sift together all the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl then stir in the sugar.
4. Lightly beat eggs then beat in milk, oil and vanilla.
5. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients then pour in the wet ingredients. Stir gently until just combined, do not over-mix.
6. Spoon half the mixture into the tin/cases. On top of that add a teaspoon of jam in the center then cover with the remaining mixture (it is very hard to keep it in the center, i couldn't especially when you put the rest of the mixture on top it just goes everywhere so don't worry if it's not perfect! personally i like the look of it seeping out the top and sides a little)
7. bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until well risen, golden and firm to touch.
8. Leave muffins to cool in tin for 5 minutes. While cooling, melt the butter in a bowl and spread the sugar onto a plate.
9. Dip the muffin tops in the butter then into the sugar (i found this to be to much on top so used a very clean finger to rub on the butter then rub on the sugar)
10. Serve warm or leave to cool on a wire rack.
I had so much batter because i made them mini muffins i used half the mixture to make Oreo Muffins
food gallery [link]
my recipes [link]
Polymer Clay gallery [link]
my Etsy store [link]