Gluten free orange zest sugar cookies with a sprinkle of sugar on top. Perfectly refreshing for a hot sunny day. Firstly you get a overly buttery melt in the mouth followed by the tasty range zest with a great after taste. The scent of them during baking and after is just amazing.
The amount of cookies you get obviously depends on the size of cutter you use but I made around 25 cookies with a 2inch cutter. If you don't want to use all the cookie dough, refrigerate for up to 24 hours or freeze for up to one month.
200g unsalted butter, cubed, cold (not margarine!)
2 tsp vanilla extract
300g plain/all purpose flour or gluten free flour
Zest of 2 oranges
Extra sugar for sprinkling.
1. Mix together all the ingredients to form the dough then leave for around 15-20minutes to firm up in the fridge.
2. Pre-heat oven to 180oC. Roll out your dough and cut to what ever size and shape you like.
3. Bake for around 10 minutes size depending. Once the edges start to colour slightly remove from oven.
4. Sprinkle a little sugar over the cookies straight from the oven else the sugar will not stick.
5. Leave the cookies to cool on the baking tray for a few minutes before attempting to remove them as at this point they are still soft and will break.
6. Serve straight away for maximum freshness or store in a container for up to 2-3 days.
If you like you can add dark chocolate chips to the dough, dunk the cookies in melted chocolate etc once cooled but you will need to add extra orange zest to the dough else you will not taste it.