Flaky puff pastry sprinkled with sugar, sweet and juicy strawberries and smooth chocolaty nutella makes for some tasty turnovers.
I don't always have time to spend hours in the kitchen so having some puff pastry sheets in the freezer for when I am in a hurry is always handy. Today I had some local strawberries that needed using up but I didn't fancy making a cake so decided on turnovers, then when I was putting them together spotted a jar of Nutella and it just had to be done! It's just a shame they are not gluten free and I can't try them but the kids and husband had seconds!
There are a few ways to make turnovers, many like to but the strawberries in the pastry before baking but these were lovely fresh strawberries so there was no way I was going to ruin them by cooking them, if they were starting to go a little over however they would be perfect for baking.
1 puff pastry sheet
1 punnet of strawberries
Honemade Whipped cream (Highly recommended! I was all out of double/heavy cream when I made these)
1. Defrost/prepare/make puff pastry as directed.
2. Preheat oven to 200oC.
3. Cut the pastry into triangles of your choosing (I made both small for the kids and large for adults)
4. Place on a baking sheet, sprinkle with sugar and bake for around 15 minutes or until light-golden brown.
5. Chop up the strawberries and mix with some jam for extra sweetness if using.
6. Once the puff pastry is cool cut in half but not all the way through, leave the longest side intact, this keeps the turnovers together and makes them look nicer.
7. Heat a little Nutella (as much as you want to use) to make it easier to spread.
8. Fill the turnovers with the nutella, strawberries and homemade whipped cream if using.
9. Best served straight away but can be refrigerated for a couple of days.